Fiery oysters with tarragon sauce
Prep time Cooking Time
5 minutes 13-15 minutes
6 fresh oysters, cleaned
30g (1oz) light brown sugar
Juice of 1 small lime
1 x 15ml spoon (1 tablespoon) tarragon or cider vinegar
Half a green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Half a small red onion, finely chopped
Few sprigs fresh tarragon
- Place the sugar, lime juice and vinegar into a small pan and heat gently to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove from the heat, add the chilli, onion and a couple of roughly chopped tarragon sprigs. Leave to cool.
- Lay the oysters onto a metal steamer and place into a large pan, covered with boiling water. Steam for 8-10 minutes over a medium heat until the oysters start to open.
- Using a cloth to protect your hands, ease the shells open. Take a knife and loosen the flesh from the shell, leaving the oyster meat in the deeper half of each shell. Discard the upper shell.
- Add any cooking liquor to the tarragon sauce, then spoon over the oysters.
- Garnish with the remaining tarragon and serve immediately.