Prep time Cooking time
2 minutes 26-30 minutes
2 bay leaves
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cardamon pods, lightly crushed
½ tsp turmeric
2 tsp curry powder
1 cinnamon stick
350g basmati rice
600ml reduced-salt vegetable stock
2tbsp chopped parsley, plus extra to garnish
4 hard-boiled eggs, quartered
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas mark 6. Wrap the kipper fillets and bay leaves in some foil and place on a baking tray in the oven. Bake for about 8 minutes until cooked through. Take out of the oven, discard the bay leaves and flake the fish.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion gently for 5 minutes until soft. Add the cardamom pods, turmeric, curry powder and cinnamon stick, and cook for a further 1 minute or so.
- Add the rice and stock and bring to the boil. Turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick from the rice. Add the kippers and chopped parsley and cook for a few more minutes to warm through.
- Serve topped with the eggs and garnished with more parsley.