Smoked Salmon, Brown Crab and Watercress Terrine
Prep time Cooking time
26-30 minutes 5 minutes
250g white crab meat from a Brown Crab
450g smoked salmon slices
1tbsp olive oil
140g watercress, tough stems removed, plus extra to serve
600g reduced-fat cream cheese
Zest 1 lemon, plus wedges to serve
2tbsp finely chopped fresh dill
- Line a 20cm x 10cm loaf tin with cling film, laying it in as smoothy as possible and letting the excess hang over the sides. Cover the base, ends, and the sides of the terrine tin with 325g of the smoked salmon slices, slightly overlapping them. Again, allow the ends of the pieces to overhang so that they can be folded over the finished terrine. Chop the remaining smoked salmon finely and set aside.
- Put the olive oil in a large frying pan and add the watercress, allowing it to wilt down over a medium heat for 1 minute. Let it cool, then squeeze out the excess water in a clean tea towel and chop finely.
- Divide the cream cheese between two medium-sized mixing bowls. Add the watercress to one half and season. Add the crab meat, chopped smoked salmon, lemon zest, dill, and plenty of black pepper to the other bowl or plain cream cheese and fold together, trying not to break up the salmon too much.
- Spoon half the crab mixture into the lined loaf tin, smoothing the top with a spatula. Top with all of the watercress mixture, again smoothing the top. Finish with the remaining crab mixture and smooth the top.
- Fold the overhanging smoked salmon slices over the top to seal the terrine completely. Then cover the terrine with the overhanging ends of cling film. Weigh it down with a couple of tins or similarly heavy objects and chill in the fridge for at least 5 hours (preferably overnight). Slice and serve with watercress and lemon wedges.